Mechanical / Civil / Biological Systems Engineer
Waterborne Environmental is an environmental consulting firm that helps solve complex environmental challenges for our clients. We are a progressive company of bright, motivated scientists and engineers looking for a valuable addition to our team in Champaign, IL. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Mechanical / Civil / Systems Engineer or similar.
The candidate will be responsible for working collaboratively within a team to execute a variety of environmental field programs in the US. They will assist in the design and production of simple and complex mechanical and electrical systems for environmental field programs. Candidates should have experience with testing and evaluating sensors and technology in the environment (e.g., water, soil). The successful candidate will also develop and implement creative solutions in an environment of primary and remote offices with diverse skills and service offerings.
Responsibilities will include:
- Work closely with other engineers, scientists, geospatial analysts, data scientists, and statisticians to design and operate innovative field systems for the collection of environmental parameters under a variety of conditions.
- Perform environmental field data collection using portable and stationary instrumentation systems related to agriculture and natural resources.
- Development of embedded systems software for environmental field projects.
- Design and operate remote system configurations and data extraction.
- Integration of commercially available sensors, instrumentation, and software to create custom electro-mechanical field systems designs.
- Analysis and reporting of data systems including daily, monthly, and interval data through software and database systems and effectively communicate information for presentation.
- Possess a valid U.S. driver’s license and be capable of driving larger company vehicles, including pickup trucks and cargo vans (CDL not required).
- Able to travel independently to remote work locations.
- Must be comfortable working in waterbodies (streams, ponds, lakes) both directly and/or from a manned boat.
- Travel throughout the US will be required and may comprise 30% of time annually.
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of USEPA Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) standards.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in an engineering and/or biological discipline.
- Minimum 2 years of progressively responsible professional work experience to include problem solving, problem resolution, and process-oriented tasks ranging from surveying and design to fabrication and installation of engineering systems.
- Working knowledge of US and international regulatory requirements related to crop protection industry is a plus.
- Proficiency in methods, processes, and procedures. Ability to solve complex problems through research initiatives and by applying technology.
- Excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills; a “maker” mentality is a plus.
- Strong attention to details with excellent analytical and judgment capabilities.
- Self-motivated, organized, and resourceful with the ability to maintain a positive attitude, team orientation, and strong work ethic in line with the company’s core values.
- Proficiency in programming languages such as python and C# as well as standard software applications such as Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be able to work in the US without any form of sponsorship.
Waterborne is a small business with a diverse set of professional backgrounds and we pride ourselves on both client and employee satisfaction. We truly embrace the talents that each of our dedicated employees has to offer. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits package includes health, dental & life insurance; 401(K) with company match; and an excellent working environment. To learn more about Waterborne Environmental, please explore our website www.waterborne-env.com.
Send your resume along with a cover letter addressing your salary requirements and establishing your experience/qualifications for the criteria outlined above to our Human Resources team at firstname.lastname@example.org. PDF format preferred. Please note on your submittal the position code denoted above.
Waterborne is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/D/V